Monday, February 20, 2012

Lent Inspiration

Wednesday marks the start of the Lenten season, and Sunday during Mass, I was enlightened to a few things worth sharing.  The word Lent comes from an old english word meaning spring.  Lent is supposed to be a time for new life, new growth, and new beginnings.  

The priest focused on two simple messages.  The first being to use this time to make room to say yes to God more often.  We often make excuses for not following the path to heaven outlined in the bible.  Why? Fear, laziness, anger, selfishness, a lot of thing i need to work on .....  Lent provides an opportunity to re-examine our priorities and make a small change to get us closer to the person we strive to be.  It seems so simple to chose to do what is right , but all too often we are distracted by real life.


His second key message was you are never too old to try something new.  Did you know, Mother Teresa was 40 years old when she founded the Missionaries of Charity in Calcutta? I find myself, even at 26, saying, I am already too old for this or that, but the reality is, you never know when you will be called to something new, but will you be open to accepting it?  Naturally, I am too much of a planner to accept any new challenge or role without it fitting into my plan, but who would be helping the poor of India if Mother Teresa had that attitude?

So here is my plan for Lent.  Back to the basics, prayer, fasting, and charity. 
As for prayer, instead of always jumping to prayer when I need something, I am going to focus on a prayer of thanksgiving everyday . 
For fasting, I am going to stick with the Catholic tradition of no meat on Fridays. 
And charity, I plan to find at least 3 different opportunities during the next 40 days to give, help or support the poor.

I will keep you posted on my Lenten journey.  What are you doing for lent?



1 comment:

  1. This post is amazing. I love learning new things about the Catholic faith being that I wasn't born into it. I have many ideas for what I am doing for this Lenten season. I will be posting about it soon!
    -Anna
    asweetsouthernmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete