Thursday, April 19, 2012

Bikini Season and Bosu Ball Class

Let's face it, bikini season is upon us, so time to crack down....more workouts, less doughnuts.

One of the only ways I can stay on the workout track is to mix it up.  I love the Y because I can try a dozen different classes or hit the weight machines and elliptical or treadmill.  I thought it would be fun to share a few posts on classes I have tried and what I liked about each.  Sometimes it can be overwhelming to step into a class when you know everyone else in there is a regular and you are a newbie, so I volunteer to be the guinea pig this time :)  I have tried Zumba, Yoga, Spin, Hot Yoga, Sculpt and Bosu Ball. 

Bosu Ball
Structure of Class: The class mixed cardio and strength training into one.  It had a boot camp/P90X feel.  We would switch between stents of high cardio activities then a few to get the heart rate back down.  We were either balancing on top of the blue ball, jumping over the ball, sitting on it or lifting it throughout the workout.  Each challenging move was only done for 30 seconds to a minute.

Fun Factor: 8, It brings you back to childhood to balance on a ball, jump on a ball, and play leapfrog :) 

Energy Factor: Peaks (cardio) and valleys (weight training)...so probably a 10 and a 5. 

How many times I checked the clock: Not going to lie, at least 7

Favorite Part: Bouncing on the ball added a fun element

Hardest Part: The cardio was intense!

Effectiveness: 10! This workout worked every muscle group and included tons of cardio

Ease for PNM (potential new members): 8, the instructor offered a wide array of variations or modifications of each interval to satisfy all levels of fitness.  There are no routines or memorized portions, each step is explained and demonstrated. 

Equipment Used: Bosu Ball, Light Hand Weights (3lbs), Heavy Hand Weights (8lbs) and a 6lb Medicine Ball

Basic Moves Used in Class:


Bosu Plank

Bosu Burpie
Bosu with Medicine Ball
Plus tons of squats, crunches, and lunges with the hand weights!

Overall, I really liked the class!  It was challenging, fun and new.  I will be back to do this one again....(my calves are still burning 2 days later)!

No comments:

Post a Comment