Monday, January 20, 2014

Fluff your Sofa: Pottery Barn Comfort Sofa Upgrade

I love Pottery Barn, and about 3 years I invested in a PB Comfort sofa.  The PB sofas in store are beyond comfortable, but the selling point was the durable, machine washable slip cover. The slip is easy to remove and easily fits in 2 washing machine loads.  Putting it back on (and making it look pretty) can be a challenge, but worth it.  

My biggest complaint about the PB sofa is inline with John and Sherry's review from Young House Love.  
It kinda looks frumpy.  
The back cushions deflated and it seemed to lose it's shape.  

After researching sofa fixes online, I was convinced I could DIY this misfortune.  

All it took was a bag of poly-fil and a needle and thread.

After removing the slipcover, I found the seam, snipped a stitch and removed about 8 inches of the seam.




Next, stuff poly-fil into empty chambers, specifically the corners and edges.



Then I simply sewed the seam back up.


Here is the half way mark.  What a difference!

***I am not a seamstress, nor an upholstery expert, this is simply a DIY fix with the tools I have at home.  I'm sure sewing the seam on a machine would yield much better quality, but I went with the work with whatcha got approach ;)

***The slipcover is removed in all photos above.









1 comment:

  1. Julie, I have the exact same problem. I see you posted back in January. Is your fix still working for you? I will give it a try if so. Otherwise, I am seriously thinking of selling my sectional (& it's only three years old) as it's really too big for our new house. I am so dissappointed because I was so desperate for this Pottery Barn couch that was supposed to be such high quality and has looked frumpy for day one almost. :-(

    ReplyDelete