Friday, September 26, 2014

Sorority Skills = Life Skills

I loved being in a sorority in college.  I often internally debated how much time I should allocate on Greek activities.  In retrospect, the traits, skills and life lessons I learned from being an active member of a sorority were as impactful on the employee and leader I am today as the actual school part.  Without the degree, I wouldn't have the opportunities I've encountered, but without the life skills, I wouldn't have known what to do with the opportunities.

Without further adieu, here are 5 things I learned from being a member of ZTA that I use in corporate America today:


1. Banners are fun to make, get people pumped about an event, and brighten a dull wall!  My roomie, Emily, and ZTA president happened to be a world class banner designer.  I have her to thank for so many things, and teaching me how to paint 15 ft banners advertising events is one of them.  This week at work, I was planning a project day for my team, dusted off my foam brushes, and went to town spreading sunshine and spirit!





2. Everyone appreciates a little happy gift.  Birthdays, thank yous, and thinking of you are always great reasons to spread cheer.  From cards, to gift cards to little candy treats, everyone likes to feel appreciated and know someone is thinking of them.  In appreciation for the planners of the work event pictured above, check out these fun little thank you gifts I was happy to make.  





3.  Snap jars get people in the habit of sharing and accepting appreciation.  I'm so glad ZTA got me in the habit of saying THANK YOU all the time!  Ending each meeting with sharing good news or saying thank you left everyone on a high note.  Now, I don't call it a snap jar at work, but I do incorporate spreading good news at the end of meetings often.  My mom encouraged thank you notes when I was growing up, which is a tradition I continue in the workplace as well.



4.  The level of planning you put into an event usually is a great predictor of the outcome.  Couldn't. Be. Truer.  We had an all-star adviser team for our sorority and the amount of prep work they did behind the scenes was mind blowing.  Every event they were involved in went flawlessly.  We quickly learned parties, intramurals, step shows, recruitment, meetings, and reports were a lot more fun if you put the time in 1st!



5.   A great t-shirt grows pride and spirit exponentially.  Ya'll this is so true!  From the anticipation waiting for the order to arrive, to the feeling of being a part of something bigger than yourself, t-shirts unite.  Here's a throwback pic from college days!




Stay tuned for Part 2, I could go on for days!




2 comments:

  1. I love that last photo :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! Thanks for taking me down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete